Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Trip Up North!

Monday, November 29, 2010

I've lived in Florida almost all my life!  Moved here was I was five years old, being 40 now, I consider myself a Florida girl!  But in all these 35 years I had never been to the panhandle!  I've no idea why really, and have thought about it many times but always seem to head south to the tropical beaches or inland to the beautiful forests!

Today, that has all changed!  SwampDawg and I decided to take a trip up to Apalachicola - it is about 3 hours north of where our hunt camp is but it seemed like a good day for a drive!  We drove through beautiful forests and then hit the coast and followed it up!  We came to a 4 mile bridge and decided what the hell, and took it over to St George's Island.  Not really sure how long it is but the width of the island at the widest point can't be more than a mile or two!  Most of the businesses closed down for the season so we headed back over to the 'mainland' and kept heading north.

The town of Apalachicola is primarily a fishing village.  Downtown looks like you took a step back in time!  It is so cute and quaint.  We walked around for a bit and went shopping at some of the little shops.  Then we ate lunch at The Grille, that supposedly is home of the World's largest fish sandwich.  I didn't try that but I did have a fish sandwich (normal sized! lol).

Because the town is primarily a fishing, shrimping, crabbing village the BP Gulf oil spill really hit it hard and people there are just doing everything they can to get by so I'm really glad I could take my few dollars and help them out.

While we were on the way there, we went through St. Mark's, Sopchoppy, and tons of other small towns that are just a blip on the map.  I love small towns, they are always so homey and cute!

We also found the Crooked River Lighthouse in Carabelle.  As we drove past, I said HEY there's a lighthouse, so SwampDawg turned around so I could get a picture or two and check it out! He's so good to me, but it could have been the handjob I gave him while we were driving that made him that way, too!  LOL!

The lighthouse was built in 1895 and made of iron and steel.  It is 103 feet or 138 steps.  When it was originally built there were two houses built on either side of it for the keepers but when it was automated in 1952, there was no need for the keepers anymore.  The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1995 but in 1999, local citizens of Carabelle formed an association to rescue the landmark and it has been restored, relighted and a new park has been opened for people to see it!

We didn't make it back to hunt camp until almost 6pm but it was an awesome day, just riding and exploring!  Plus now I can say I have been to the panhandle!  Next time, I'm headed to Panama City but that will be for some partying!

Kisses ~ Kristine




No comments:

Post a Comment